This course will give delegates confidence in the accuracy and completeness of their written communications, and allow them to make the right impression. The documents, reports and emails we produce are an important part of our image, both as an individual and as an organisation. Preparing documents and emails which are well written, have clarity and are concise will promote our professionalism and make us more effective.
Who will the course benefit?
This course will benefit those individuals who would either like to refresh their business writing skills or understand how to write either more concisely or with more impact.
- Please bring examples of your business writing with you to this workshop (providing there are no confidentiality issues involved). We strongly advise all delegates to bring samples of their writing with them on a memory key. The added advantage is that writing created during the course can be taken away for further use.
- What business correspondence should look like and contain.
- Improving sample correspondence.
- Writing in plain language and the Plain English Campaign.
- The 4-block structure.
- Understanding grammar and practicing spelling.
- Using Pyramid Thinking to create logical flow.
- Eliminating business clichés.
- Active and passive construction.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Recognise and use the 4-block structure for a letter/email
- Use powerful words and phrases
- Demonstrate the importance of grammar, punctuation and spelling to business writing
- Apply appropriate email etiquette
- Understand the importance of using plain English
- Demonstrate the differences between active and passive sentence construction
- Remove clichés and redundant expressions from your writing
- Use Pyramid Thinking to organise complex or large volumes of data into a coherent story
- Prevent mistakes that stop you being understood.