1 day workshop
Good line managers are recognised and valued by employees, and when employees have supportive relationships with their line manager, they express greater happiness with a wide range of other features of their working life, and see the formal process of appraisal as a valuable tool to achieving organisation, team and individual objectives.
A ‘good’ manager engages with their staff’s performance, empowering them and encouraging feedback and regular appraisals. They are committed to staff development, championing PDPs, facilitating access to formal training, and promoting the value of, and access to, less-formal development opportunities.
By the end of the session the delegates will be able to:
- Fully explain the reasons for having a performance management system – its components, how it works and its benefits to reviewees, reviewers and the organisation as a whole.
- Explain the benefits of effectively and consistently managing performance.
- Prepare evidence and documentation to carry out performance reviews.
- Assess individual performance objectively and accurately using relevant guidance materials.
- Demonstrate skills required for conducting effective review meetings to motivate their people.
- Plan for the future development of team members.
By the end of the session delegates will learn:
- To understand the benefits of appraisal.
- To understand the consequences of not managing poor performance as and when it happens and why the Appraisal is not the place to initially identify a problem.
- The ability to give feedback to others in order to improve performance
- To understand the need for objective setting and your role and responsibility from determining objectives at induction to completing the appraisal
- To identify what goals should be set as a department and forwarded to individuals through appraisal
- To determine what SMART objectives are and how to write them within an appraisal
- Know how to plan for an effective discussion
- Practical appraisal interviewing skill development
This will enable delegates to:
- Prepare for and complete effective appraisals with their own team members.
- Explain the importance of having an appraisal system and how it supports the development of individuals as well as playing a key role in succession planning.
- Manage any concerns/queries about an appraisal system, know how to create buy-in from team members.